1 plump roasting chicken
2 large yellow onions, peeled and quartered
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 stalks celery, washed and sliced
4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
2 white turnips, peeled and chopped into small cubes
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
handful fresh parsley
handful fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, turnip, parsley, dill, and seasonings in a 16- to 20-quart stockpot. Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Remove chicken and allow it to cool slightly. Remove the breast meat from the chicken and set aside. Return the remaining chicken and carcasses to the pot and continue simmering, uncovered, for 3 more hours.
- Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and chill. Remove the surface fat, then reheat the stock as follows, or pack in containers and freeze.
To Serve The Soup:
- Return the stock to the pot and reheat, adding all of the vegetables.
- Shred the reserved chicken meat into large pieces and add to the stock.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes to cook the vegetables and reheat the chicken. Season, to taste, and serve.
*If you like this recipe, you’d LOVE my Festive Goddess eBook. It’s filled with delish, sugar-free recipes that are perfect for holiday meals. Check it out here.